In fact subjective factors play a much bigger role: a desire to learn a foreign language begins with your interest in a certain national culture. In this case a complexity of language plays a secondary role – an anime fan will learn difficult Japanese with less effort than relatively easy Spanish, which is completely uninteresting to him.
However it is considered that:
- Firstly it’s better to learn German and French.
- English is easier to learn with prior knowledge of German and French.
- Dutch language is easy to remember after German and English.
- Scandinavian languages are better to learn after German.
- Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian are better to learn after French or Latin.
- Polish and Slovak are easier to learn if you know Czech language.
- Yiddish – after German, Hebrew and Slavic languages.
- Hebrew and Persian – after Arabic.
- Japanese and Korean – after Chinese.